One of my very favorite things about living in a condo association is that there are many other families with kids the same age or close to my son. A while back, we started organizing a monthly summer movie night in the backyard – and it truly is magical every time we do it. If you are also lucky enough to have a backyard, I highly recommend it, regardless of your age. Here is a recipe I recommend:
1. Start by setting up a fine bar for moviegoers to serve themselves. For adults, use spirits, but if all is for the kids, set up a decorate your own cupcake station.
2. Get in some social time by doing a group activity together. We let the kids whack a piñata this evening.
3. Make some teepees for shelter and cuddling. I ended up using bamboo poles from the garden store for the poles, and duvet covers from the thrift store for the fabric making them very light weight and affordable.
4. Add some watermelon and or popcorn for snacking.
5. Set up the powerpoint projector that your neighbor borrowed from work and place on top of an old cooler. If you don’t have an actual screen, or as with us, the Chicago wind makes it too iffy – binder clip an old light colored sheet to the wall. Push play on the computer set up next to the projector. This nights’ movie was the 1978 Hanna-Barbera classic: Laff-A-Lympics. (A nod to the 2012 summer Olympics which were still going on.)
6. Run around, stop and relax, run around, make memories, enjoy.