Fun to look back sometimes when you’ve been dawdling with a blog for a while, as I have. I had forgotten about this, but in April of 2010, but I had set a few goals for myself. These are goals that I set at my 36 birthday, and things I wanted to get done before I turned 40. Interesting that in the last two years few have really changed much, some are in the process of accomplishment, and some have been thrown out the window entirely. Let’s scan and see how I am doing:
Travel as much as possible while I am young. Finish college. Marry a man I adore. Move away from where I grow up, and experience new and different things. Buy my own house. Have a child. Work at a job that I really actually like. Start a personal blog.
- Grow herbs and/or tomatoes every summer. (2010 planted herbs; 2011 spread out a bit and grew upside down tomatoes, 2012 ?, 2013 ?)
- Repaint every room in my condo. (
ENTRY/HALLWAY, LIVING ROOM, BATHROOM, MASTER BEDROOM, 2nd BEDROOM, DINING ROOM, KITCHEN – in progress)
- Finally create a bookshelf system for our condo that works. (Boy, did I give that sucker a lot of thought. In the end, I went with Ikea’s white Billys in the dining room. I should probably share that someday, huh? I have sort of been waiting until I put doors on them and consider them complete. May be never then.)
- Eat at Charlie Trotter’s, and at least two other restaurants on this list. (Trotter’s is closing August 17, 2012. I waited too long, as it’s impossible to reserve now. Well, still plenty to get to on the list, anyway!)
- Take a photography class, and learn how to use my SLR camera properly. (My poor lonely SLR has been totally replaced by iPhone pix. Strange.)
- Learn CSS or some other programming system. (Not yet!)
- Take a cooking class. (No, but have been teaching myself! Loving it!)
- Get into great physical shape.(2010: Wii Fit, Went G-Free, and lost some weight ; 2011: still G-free, started regular yoga, did a couple of cleanses ; 2012: still G-free (!), still doing yoga (!), will do another couple of cleanses. Still not even close to being in great physical shape. ;( )
- Volunteer for something. (2010: Earth Day Donation time; 2011 Earth Day time again, along with lots of other donation of stuff.)
- Have a date night with my husband at least once a month. (Ugh, well – we try, but it’s closer to once ever quarter. Need to work on that!)
- Visit these Chicago sites: Willis Tower Observation Deck and the new Modern Wing at the Art Institute. (The Modern Wing is excellant, and my son and husband checked out the Willis. I am good with that for now.)
- Take full advantage of every summer in Chicago doing by too much biking, many picnics on the lake, attending street festivals, and going to the Lincoln Park Zoo often. (Always!)
- 2010- Obtain a year long membership to the Shedd Aquarium. Go often, take lots of photos. (DONE!)
- 2011- Obtain a year long membership to the Field Museum. Go often, take lots of photos. (DONE, except for that due to a Groupon, it was Science & Industry!)
- 2012- Obtain a year long membership to the Museum of Science and Industry. Go often, take lots of photos. (not yet, but we are definitely thinking of the Field.)
- 2013- Obtain a year long membership to an Art Museum. Go often, take lots of photos.
- 2014- Obtain a year long membership to an ??? Museum. Go often, take lots of photos.
- Do more yoga. (Loving my class at the Parks district!)
- Eliminate more meat from my diet. (Sometimes. My son has just proclaimed himself a vegetarian. I suppose that’s something?)
- Enroll my son in at least one fun class a year. (He’s a busy kid, alright.)
- Find the perfect school for my son. (Still working hard on this one. We have a year and a 1/2 left and counting – but already found out that we are wait listed for the one and only private school we did early admission with.)
Recycle all of my glass and paper products.
- Create a list of 40 must read books, then actually read them. (Ugh. Too bad I didn’t put the Hunger Games on there. I would have 3 knocked out then.)
- Take a family vacation at least once a year. This includes leaving the city for at least three days or more with my family. (Yes, we have been ON it. We even did a NYC trip this year!)
- Throw a holiday party every November or December for all of my friends. (
2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013) Stay on top of new technology as much as possible. ie OWN AN iPAD.
- Explore Illinois on small weekend car trips. (want to do more of this, but have done some!)
- Think about the transition to a single family home. (uhh, hello real estate market. this is going to take awhile.)
- Think more seriously about starting my own business. (uhhh, hello economy – this also might be stalled.)
- Evolve this blog and let it grow with me. (Yes, I think I have done this. Can keep it up, though.)
Continue to stay in touch with my family via Skype as much as possible. (I do! Except now I call it FaceTime!)
- Continue to try to be the best me I can be. (Well, that is my biggest daily goal! Do I make it? Not always, but I’ll keep trying.)